Top Menu

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Lease Extension Finalized

Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL) lease extension for Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza was finalized this week, committing the team to the venue for another 10 years.

In May, the Pittsburgh Penguins–owner of the AHL Penguins–and Luzerne County Convention Center Authority announced that they had agreed in principal to a 10-year lease extension, effectively keeping the team at the venue until 2029. Over the ensuing months, the two sides have been working finalize the terms of the agreement, culminating in Tuesday’s signing of the lease.

Now that the agreement has been signed, some specific details are being disclosed. The Penguins will pay over $5,700 per-game in rent, with the two parties set to split some revenues. More from the Times Leader:

For each home game, the Penguins will pay $5,763 in rent. The AHL franchise has 38 home games scheduled for the 2019-2020 season with the home opener on Oct. 12 against the Utica Comets….

The Penguins can set ticket prices for its games at the nearly 8,000-seat arena. It also receives all the revenue from the sale of non-premium tickets. The Authority has exclusive control of marketing and licensing for suite and club suite tickets and retains all the revenue from those sales.

The parties split a $1 surcharge on non-premium tickets. There is no surcharge on suite and club seat tickets.

Likewise, the parties split the per-vehicle parking fee for home games. The $1.75 fee, applicable for the first three years of the deal, is included in the ticket price. It rises to $2 for the remaining seven years. The Penguins receives 32 percent of the gross revenue from parking and the other 68 percent goes to the Authority.

The Penguins have played at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza since its 1999 opening.

RELATED STORIES: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Lease Extension Set to be FinalizedMohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza Upgrades on TapAgreement in Principal Reached on Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Lease Extension;Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins to Inform AHL of 2019-2020 Plans Next WeekOfficials: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Lease Talks ProgressingWilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Lease Discussions Continue

, ,