New video displays and other technology upgrades will highlight the second phase of Capital One Arena renovations, according to plans from Monumental Sports & Entertainment. The $15 million project will begin after the Washington Capitals and Washington Wizards‘ 2018-19 seasons, and conclude by this fall.
The entirely privately-funded project will complement last summer’s $40 million renovation at the arena.
“Investing in a technologically-integrated venue experience is paramount to our mission of creating monumental memories for our fans,” David Touhey, President of Venues at MSE, said. “Upon completion of this second round of renovations and upgrades, Capital One Arena will feature the best LED displays available today, creating the best in-bowl and in-arena experience for sports and entertainment in America.”
“By transitioning to a fully-digital experience at Capital One Arena, our partners will have the ability to reach fans through more experiential, measurable and targeted content,” Jim Van Stone, President of Business Operations and Chief Commercial Officer at MSE, said. “This best-in-class technology also allows our busy building to have a truly unique feel every night through both owned assets and sponsor-specific content on our digital signage networks.”
“An essential piece of the puzzle towards an ultimate fan experience at Capital One Arena was to create a web of digital media, where fan engagement and interactivity grab the eye of every visitor,” said Joseph Bocko, President of Colosseo USA, Inc. “Colosseo’s unique innovations in centerhung video board design and LED SkyRing are setting a bar in applied technologies for sports and entertainment venues of the future. Colosseo is proud to assist Capital One Arena in becoming the most advanced venue in regards to the capabilities of applied technologies.”
Capital One Arena will utilize the latest in LED video technology to completely transform the in-arena experience and bring fans closer than ever to all the action. The commitment to best-in-class LED displays began with Phase I Renovations which updated more than 350 arena network television screens, 85 98-inch screens, 50 55-inch screens and 23 large format LED boards around the concourse.
- One of the Largest 360-Degree Continuous Video Screen in Sports: A revolutionary new centerhung scoreboard that will feature:
- One of the largest 360-degree continuous video screen of any arena in the United States with over 7,000 total square feet of SMART LED display
- Eight distinct display areas, delivering not just video of the action but real-time stats, scores, and updates
- Best-in-class 4mm pixel pitch and 4K HD quality with true-to-life color
- Revolutionary Two-Sided DualTV™ Boards: Four state-of-the-art two-sided, curved DualTV boards in the corners of the arena will ensure every fan has a premium view of all the action. The boards will boast more than 2,200 square feet of HD LED video display arena-side and the first back-side LED video display in the industry. Over 1,000 square feet of HD LED video display on the back-side will deliver stats and scores alongside live action.
- A Gravity-Defying SkyRing Display: For the first time in an indoor arena, Capital One Arena will feature a SkyRing that will feature over 9,000 square feet of LED video, wrapping the roofline of the arena bowl.
- Measures 390 feet in diameter – the largest display in any U.S. arena to date
- Over 9,250 square feet of LED display area
- 1,230 square foot circumference wraps the arena
- Best-in-class HD with true-to-color quality
- Wrapped to Perfection Ribbon Boards: All ribbon boards will receive an update with new 10mm LED boards delivering an exceptional picture for fans.
- Updated Upper and Lower Fascia ribbons with 1,600 square feet of brand-new LED
- Addition of two new end zone ribbons adding more than 1,040 additional square feet of LED display to Capital One Arena
- True-to-color quality
- New LED Sports and Bowl Lighting: All sports and seating lighting will be replaced with new LED lighting.
- Tunable white fixtures for customizable sports lighting
- Color-changing LED lights for customized arena bowl lighting
- Stronger lumen output per fixture
- Environmentally conscientious 60 to 75 percent energy-use reduction
Updates during Phase II will also include new concession options, expansion of luxury seating, a refurbished destination lounge, and the renovation of the 200 level concourse.
- Newly-Designed Concessions: Updates to the 200 level concourse will feature brand-new concessions, including The Exchange – a walk-in market and TLC (Tenders, Love & Chicken) – a premium chicken concept that features crispy, home-style chicken tenders, hand-tossed golden fries and a signature chicken sandwich complete with a wide variety of dipping sauces found at a self-serve sauce bar. Additional partnerships with some of the top chefs in the District will continue to bring exceptional food to the fan experience.
- Get Even Closer in the PwC Club: The exclusive PwC Club will get even better with new lower rows that will bring fans closer to the action while still having access to all the terrific amenities only the PwC Club can offer.
- Rebranded Devil’s Backbone Lounge: The 400 level of Capital One Arena will be updated with the introduction of Devil’s Backbone Brewing Company Outpost. Brewed in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Devil’s Backbone Brewing Company is committed to taking their time to craft signature lagers like Vienna Lager, Trail Angel, Schwartz Bier and Eight Point. Now their craft beers will be on-tap for our fans in a beautiful, wide open space that celebrates the DB commitment to great beer with great friends.
- Modernized 200 Level Concourse: The Kettler Loft 200 level concourse will join the previously-renovated 100 and 400 levels in receiving a complete makeover, including new flooring, new lighting, and sleek new décor.
RELATED STORIES: Revamped Capital One Arena: Tech, Entertainment, Food, and More