Top Menu

Brooklyn Nets CEO David Levy Resigns

Brooklyn Nets

Just less than two months after being named to the position, David Levy is resigning as CEO of the Brooklyn Nets and Barclays Center.

On September 18, it was announced that Levy–who previously spent over 30 years at Turner Broadcasting, including the last six as President of the company–had taken the post as CEO of Barclays Center and the Nets. His appointment came as Joe Tsai acquired full ownership of both the team and its arena, with Levy also assuming the role as President of holding company J Tsai Sports.

Levy has resigned, however, as confirmed by both him and J Tsai Sports. He described the decision to part ways as mutual in an interview with Bloomberg, but declined to elaborate. Oliver Weisberg, head of J Tsai Sports, has been named the Nets interim chief. More from Bloomberg:

“We mutually agreed to part ways,” the 57-year-old Levy said in an interview, declining to comment further. He came on as CEO in September following an acquisition of the squad by Tsai, who is building a sports, media and entertainment empire….

In a statement, Weisberg suggested that Levy didn’t share Tsai’s vision for the organization.

“It’s important that ownership and management are completely aligned on our go-forward plan,” he said.

Levy, who had been president of Turner until March, said in September that he was thrilled about the new job, including the chance to invest in sports betting, esports and new technology. “I pinch myself,” he said at the time. “That’s what makes this a really unique opportunity.”

Tsai purchased the controlling interest in the Nets and Barclays Center from Mikhail Prokhorov. The move came after Tsai bought a 49% stake in the Nets in 2018, part of an agreement that gave him the option to buy the remaining 51% share of the franchise prior to the 2021-22 NBA season. 

RELATED STORIES: Joe Tsai Finalizes Purchase of Nets, Barclays Center

, , , , ,